Directory For Directories goa
Showing posts with label goa. Show all posts
Showing posts with label goa. Show all posts

Population of Goa 2011 census

Goa is India's smallest state by area and fourth smallest by population.This tiny state, a tourist destination which lies in the west coase of India. Goa is renowned for its beaches, places of worship, world Heritage architecture.

Altho Goa was annexed in 1961 it attained statehood on 27th May, 1987 prior to this it was a union territory. With the rule of the Portuguese for over 450 years and the consequential influence of Portuguese culture. Goa presents a somewhat different picture to the foreign visitor than other parts of the country.

Goa is India's richest state with a GDP per capita two and a half times that of the country as a whole. Tourism is Goa's primary industry: it handles 12% of all foreign tourist arrivals in India. Goa has two main tourist seasons: winter and summer. In the winter time, tourists from abroad (mainly Europe) come to Goa to enjoy the climate. In the summer time (which, in Goa, is the rainy season), tourists from across India come to spend the holidays.

Tourism is generally focused on the coastal areas of Goa, with decreased tourist activity inland. The land away from the coast is rich in minerals and ores and mining forms the second largest industry. Lot of the mine produce is exported form the Marmagao Port, Goa accounted for over 39% of India's Iron Ore exports.

Agriculture and fishing offer part-time employment to a sizable portion of the populace. Rice is the main agricultural crop, followed by areca, cashew and coconut, though recent official figures indicate a decline of the importance of these sectors and also a fall in production.

Click On Image To Enlarge

population census of goa 2011 district map
Goa Population Map Census 2011

As per the census results declared on 1st march 2011, Goa's population comprises of 14,57,723 individuals. Its share in total population of the country is 0.12%. In 2001 Goa's population was 13,47,668. Goa has registered an increase of 1,10,055 persons or 8.17% in this decade.

The density of population works out to 394 people per sq km.Goa's density of population has risen by 30 as compared to 2001 density which was at 364 induviduals per sq km. The density of population of North Goa is higher than that of South Goa. North Goa has a density of population of 471 where as south has 326.

Of the total population of 14,57,723 in the state 7,40,711 ( 50.81 % ) are males and the remaining ( 49.19% ) 7,17,012 are females in 2011. Thus the sex ratio of Goa works out 968. The state overall declared a literacy rate of 87.40%. The literacy rate among males in Goa is 92.81% and females is 81.84%.

Panaji is the state's capital, while Vasco da Gama is the largest city. The historic city of Margao still exhibits the cultural influence of the Portuguese, who first landed in the early 16th century as merchants and conquered it soon thereafter.

Goa is also notable for its low beer, and now a days for low fuel prices, wine and spirits prices due to its very low excise duty on alcohol. Another source of cash inflow into the state comes from many of its citizens who work abroad and remit money to their families.

With these changing trends, medium scale industries include the manufacturing of pesticides, fertilisers, tyres,  footwear, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, fruits and fish canning, cashew nuts, textiles, brewery products etc. are developing. Goa at this stage is seeing many of its local people leaving abroad or to bigger cities like Mumbai, Pune and Bangalore in search of better jobs and work opportunities while on the other side immigrants from other states come to Goa in search for work in its flourishing tourism industry.